Precision Problem

Jean wrote:

Aaarrgh - You know how particular I am about measuring and remeasuring and cutting precisely and sewing accurately. Well, take a look at this picture. Does anything look wrong???




(Note from Tracy: What you're looking at is that the ends of the black don't reach the lines on the board, like the print fabric does.)

Gosh, didn't I measure the black length correctly? Pin it correctly? Sew it carefully? YES I DID!! The kona cotton shrinks! I couldn't figure out why the strips of fossil fern and white were "long" but the pink opulence and black kona were turning out "short."

Suddenly, it occurred to me. The black is shrinking. So I took a 2 x 7 1/4" black strip and sprayed and pressed it, and then remeasured. The strip was a hair over 7". That's almost a seam allowance short.

So I cut 3 strips the full width of fabric, cut off the selvedge edges and sprayed and pressed the strips. Then I cut some and use them to piece. Do you see any improvement?   NO!



So it should be fun piecing the lower quilt tops where there are so many kona black strips. See what you're missing?

No comments: